Today’s review is my first ‘mom’ specific one. As any new mom knows, breastfeeding, in the beginning especially, is quite a challenge. Alhamdulillah, I was/am able to breastfeed T. Throughout my pregnancy and now post partum, I’ve tried to use products that are more natural and contain as little chemical ingredients as possible. So when it came time to decide on which nursing pads to use I was conflicted between the disposables versus washables. I bought both and tried them out. In the beginning I preferred the disposables as it meant less laundry and felt drier. However, after noticing the gel filling on my baby’s face I FREAKED! So I started hunting for better washable ones.
Up came Omees Boutique, an Etsy shop that sells a variety of handmade, eco-friendly mom and baby products. I decided to give the washable pads from here a try as the reviews were good, it was locally based and made and the colourful assortment of fabric appealed to the fashion-conscious side of me (hey a mom’s gotta look good too!).
- four layers of flannel fabric makes them very absorbent.
- no bunching up as with the stick on disposables.
- no irritating scrunching noises.
- soft flannel makes it’s more gentle against the skin.
- size is appropriate – not too big or too small.
- holds up to frequent laundering very well.
- if not washed in a lingerie bag, it can get ‘lost’ when doing the laundry! I’ve misplaced 2 already 😦
- needs a bit of flattening out when it comes out of the drier (I haven’t ironed them but that might be a good solution).
- if you have a heavy let-down, you’ll need to double up.
Overall, I LOVE these and would highly recommend them to breastfeeding mamas!
This is what they look like after washing and drying. Notice how it got a bit fluffier….that’s the four layers of flannel at work! 😉